Archive for April 2012

Line politicians up side-by-side on every issue with

With the Second round of voting just around the corner, the more the forty percent of French voters who voted for neither Hollande nor Sarkozy in the first round of voting may be wondering which candidate best lines up with their views. Voxe, a politics platform, thinks it has the solution, by offering users the […]

France falls below average on Internet contribution to GDP

France falls below average on Internet contribution to GDP

It’s evident that over the last 15 years or so the Internet has completely transformed the way we lead our lives, but how has it affected our economies? This question has been looked at in several studies and articles over the years, but one conducted recently by BCG provided some perspective on just how far […]

Geeklist – the Geek community website that finds you the best geeks for your team

Geeklist – the Geek community website that finds you the best geeks for your team

Geeklist is building a community of developers, where, through an elaborate system of cards, high-fives, contributions and creds, everyone can express their geek achievements in a crowdsourced, social way. As a developer, I can say “I built XYZ using ABC technology” on the Geeklist site. People can then validate that (the more the better), or say […]

Envivio announces IPO to stream video to every screen

Envivio, a San Francisco-based company, announced its IPOyesterday for its video-streaming solution. Founded back in 2000 by ex-France Telecom Julien Signes, Envivio has been working for 12 years on streaming streaming Video over IP, and currently offers B2B solutions for mobile, PC, and TV, including On-Demand, Over-the-top, and multi-screen delivery. While Envivio is headquartered in the […]

FactWatchers helps you keep track of which French candidate is honest, and which is lying

With the first round of voting done, the numbers are pretty even for Sarkozy and Hollande. These next two weeks will be critical for both candidates, but more important, critical for French voters. With Hollande & Sarkozy taking only a combined 55% of the votes in the first round of voting, that leaves 45% of […]

Rude VC: Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

Pardon the overused cliché, but I figured it was appropriate to pay homage to the 100-year anniversary of the Titanic’s fatal voyage since every media outlet seems to be doing so (my favorite was The Onion’s commemorative tribute in applying its rarely-used 100-point font to the headline). But the equivalent of rearranging deck chairs on […]

Mobicarbu sits on top of the Appstore with the lowest gas prices around

When we’re stuck in traffic with the needle hovering just above E, we often play that awful game: “Can I wait long enough to get to the cheaper gas station across town?” I can tell you that this game has left me stranded many a-times on Sand Hill Rd. (damn you cheap Willow Rd. Gas […]

Game On: France's games industry

The market for online, social-network, and mobile games has been on fire over the last several years.  It has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry and is expected to continue its rapid growth for the foreseeable future, particularly in Europe (see recent studies on the sector here and here). Of course the key questions we […]

Recruiting a developer in France [SERIES 4/4] – Making the offer

 In previous articles, we’ve talked about creating a job profile, getting it seen by the right people, selecting CV’s, and doing interviews. Our final installment talks about making actual offers to candidates, and the responsibilities, cost, and risks as an employer. Step 1 – Know your real cost The real cost of employing someone is […]

LeCamping invites Business Objects founder Bernard Liautaud to pitch session – Startups apply now!

LeCamping has kept the bar pretty high over the past few years when it comes to inviting key movers and shakers to their events: serial entrepreneurs & investors from around the world have passed through; however, their latest event might top them all. LeCamping has arranged for Bernard Liautaud, an entrepreneur turned VC at London-based […]